The history of Vilniaus Degtine dates back to 1907, in the locality of Rokiškis at the distillery in Obeliu. The plant belonged to the count family and drinks were produced exclusively for the aristocracy. In 1922, the production of vodka was moved to the capital of Lithuania – Vilnius. Only the production of alcohol remained in Rokiškis. Since then, Vilniaus Degtine has become the leading spirits producer in Lithuania.
Today the plant in Obeliu is the only working distillery in Lithuania producing rectified grain alcohol. In 1995 Vilniaus Degtine was reorganized into a joint stock company. In 2011, a biogas power plant was built at the plant, which produces electricity from grain residues. A biomass boiler was installed in 2015.
Only renewable energy sources are used at the plant to meet the electricity demand. In 2016, the phase of modernization of the production of ethyl alcohol was completed.